Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bat

So... Grandpa found a little bat in the bushes outside the house. It's rare for them to appear around my house, as I am in an urban area and they tend to stick to the feild and park a few blocks down.
He scooped it up with a shovel I guess, and tossed it into the street. As I went downstairs, he told me about it. SO OF COURSE I HAD TO GO SEEEEEE!

Armed with a flashlight, I ventured outside and looked onto the road where I saw- nothing.
Grandpa followed me, worried for my safety or something, I dunno. He really didn't want me to touch. Which I wouldn't! ...With my bare hands anyway.

Anywho, I couldn't see any bat, but suddenly I could hear chirping from under Gramp's car. A quick glance under and BOOP!



There it was!





Cute right? It's so small, only as long as my thumb. Though it's wingspan is pretty large, and it crawls around pretty quickly.

No idea what type, I think it's called a "Little Brown Bat" or maybe a "Big Brown Bat" [woah now, don't get TOO CREATIVE on the names there] but it looks like it had a patch of missing fur between it's shoulder blades. That must be why it can't fly away. Poor thing, I'm worried about it staying in the road, but it seems to be sticking to the safety of under the car.
Poor little monkey.


UPDATE!

Ok! I told my sister about little Dusk [name comicly suggested by my friends after a character of mine] and she, to my suprise, jumped at the oprotunity to get him off the road.
I had some thick gloves on, and scooped the little bugger up onto my hand where it clinged and refused to let go. But this allowed us to get a better view of it's back. Has a nasty little wound on his back, possibly caused by a blue jay. I do recall finding a lot of jay feathers around.

So we moved the little guy over to the side of the house under a bush.
BUT
HE
WOULDNT
LET
GO
And after all that, wasn't about to risk hurting it trying to pry it off. SO-- just left the glove there. Bat and all.
If it's still there by morning I'll call the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment